#113 – “Stellaluna” and Family Summer Series at Center for Puppetry Arts – Introducing Passport to Puppetry!

center-for-puppetry-arts-1404-spring-street-nw-atlanta-ga

If you’ve never been to the Center for Puppetry Arts in Midtown, you are in for a fantastic treat!

The summer shows in the Family Series are in full swing; the first production – “Stellaluna” by Tears of Joy Theatre of Portland, Oregon, which was completely sold out on its last visit to the Center – is underway and being presented through this Sunday, June 6, 2010. It is a beautiful, whimsical rendering of the children’s book by the same name and is (incredibly) performed by two puppeteers playing four characters each. It is followed by “The Lion, The Mouse & Other Aesop’s Fables,” which opens on Tuesday, June 8, 2010, and four more two-week-long productions, providing something for everyone! Stellaluna-center-for-puppetry-arts-1404-spring-street-nw-atlanta-ga-photo

New this summer, beginning with “Stellaluna,” the Center for Puppetry Arts is introducing the Passport to Puppetry. You and your child can collect ticket stubs from each show in the summer Family Series in a special passport to win prizes, like a free finger puppet, a guided tour, a gift certificate to the Museum Store and more! You have nine more opportunities to catch “Stellaluna” and collect your first ticket stub – the show runs today, Thursday, June 3 through Sunday, June 6, 2010. Then collect one stub per passport for each of the following shows to win the Grand Prize!

There’s so much more going on at the Center for Puppetry Arts – so much more than I can write about in one post (I haven’t even touched on the museums, the Jim Henson exhibits, and the museum shop – but check those out when you go – they’re included in your ticket price!). So visit the Center for Puppetry Arts website, or better yet, plan to see “Stellaluna” before it closes. As an added incentive, Rita’s Italian Ice will be at the Center this Saturday, June 5, 2010, from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM giving out FREE Italian Ice. So bring your friends and family, enjoy some FREE Italian Ice and a delightful production of “Stellaluna.” Comment on this post and be entered to win 4 tickets to the 1:00 PM production of “Stellaluna” on Saturday, June 5, 2010 – just tell us,¬†What was your favorite children’s book from your childhood (or your children’s childhood) and why? (Deadline: Friday, 6/4 at noon)

Tell them 365Atlanta sent you! And stay tuned to 365Atlanta.com for more fabulous events and happenings at the Center for Puppetry Arts!

WHERE: Center for Puppetry Arts – 1404 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30309

18 Enlightened Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

1. angie a says:

I loved the Amelia Bedila books, where she took everything literally!!1

2. I had all of the Richard Scarry books – the best day ever was my favorite! I read it for hours.

3. Dee says:

My favorite book was The Secret Garden. The idea of having you rown little world was always interesting to me!!

4. larry holland says:

i loved the monsters in “where the wild things are” and i read it to my daughter for at least 3months straight every night

5. Celeste says:

Looks like it time for another trip to the CPA!!

6. ashley w says:

My favorite book was “A Little Princess”, I actually cried :(, but it was a good story. I can’t wait to share it with my daughter when she is older.

7. Vanessa B. says:

My favorite has to be Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I loved the idea of it raining food, especially my favorite gummy bears!

8. Jenny Githens says:

As a child, I loved Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. My son loves it too but as a teacher my favorite book to read to my students is Stellaluna. The illustrations are so expressive and the story is wonderful. I was so excited to see this was in production!

9. Danielle says:

My favorite book was Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry. I loved horses and the book was about a real pony. I had the chance to visit the island and meet some of Misty’s descendants and tour the museum.

10. Traci B says:

Stella Luna is one of my favorite children’s books!

11. chelsea V says:

I know its cliche, but I honestly loved reading the Nancy Drew books, and up to today I still love mystery and suspense

12. Renee C says:

I loved the Mr. Men books because they were so silly, and now my kids love them too!

13. alfred n says:

My daughter’s favorite book is “Are you my mother”, and she has a cloth version with a puppet-like bird that can move from one page to another in search of his mother. She likes to read it, and move the bird herself. I love that she’s playing and learning all in one.

14. Liza Cardona says:

I love this story. My kids would love to watch the show.

15. patricia mejia says:

My favorite story was “Little Red Ridinghood” I enjoyed it so much! When I read it to my kids, I love seeing there reaction to the book.

16. Lauren Kelley says:

Stellaluna is one of the best kids’ books out there. My favorite childhood book will always be two, “All Of A Kind Family” & “The Giving Tree.” I could relate to all the girls in “All Of A Kind Family” – I was a Jewish girl form NY and I understood their problems. As for “The Giving Tree,” ironically my brothers and I used to fight over it when we first got it, the meaning washed right over our heads. LOL. Now, we all own a copy to share with our kids.

17. Nathan Nobis says:

My favorite childhood book was “Where the Wild Things Are” because it was such a creative portrayal of a child’s imagination.

18. Maura says:

CONGRATS to Jenny Githens, who won the drawing for tickets for tomorrow’s show!

But even if you didn’t win, please be sure to see “Stellaluna” at the Center for Puppetry Arts and check out all the other fantastic offerings they have!

And stay tuned to 365Atlanta.com for more great contests and giveaways this summer!

Post a Reply