#140 – E. 48th Street Market in Dunwoody – Atlanta’s Authentic Italian Market

e-48th-street-market-2462-jett-ferry-dunwoody-gaThe E. 48th Street Market in Dunwoody reminds me of small neighborhood groceries and markets in my parents’ hometown in northern New Jersey. It’s a family-owned and -operated Italian food specialty market – part cafe, part caterer, part grocery – and it’s all family.

Cozily cramped, but spotlessly clean and organized, the E. 48th Street Market has a deli/meat case, prepared foods case, freezer case and bakery counter, along with shelves of Italian imports and wines. They carry homemade fresh pastas, dried pastas, risottos, a wide variety of Italian olive oils, Balsamic vinegars and sauces. The deli and meat case holds imported and domestic cold cuts, cheeses, fresh handmade-daily mozzarella, and a variety of sausages. There is a large selection of olives, including the Market’s own housemade roasted olives, and there is a prepared foods case chock-full of homemade marinated artichokes, roasted garlic, meatballs, pasta dishes, marinated mushrooms, fresh pizza dough . There is also a large variety of Italian wines, all along the side wall and throughout the store. The freezer case also has cooked and cleaned frozen seafood, like mussels, baby clams, calamari, and lots more. The bakery offers too many hearth-baked breads to list, with more than 20 on the take-out menu alone.

Order your lunch or dinner and sit at one of the few inside tables or out on the breezy patio (with ample ceiling fans to keep you cool, even on a hot summer day). The menu has 26 specialty hero sandwiches to choose from, a daily hot lunch special (such as lasagna, open-faced calzones, eggplant casserole and more), pizza by the slice, and create-your-own pasta dishes, among other Italian dishes. Or you can pick up some antipasto and some other delicacies from the prepared foods case to bring home and share with your friends or family, or pick up all the ingredients to make your favorite Italian meal at home from the Italian imported groceries.

Best yet, I stopped in for lunch yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised when they served my sandwich – a #15 (prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, and olive oil on a hoagie roll) – and I found that it was actually on a hard roll! If you’re not from New Jersey or New York you may not know the wonderfulness of the hard roll. Virtually impossible to find anywhere else (and believe me, I’ve tried!), the hard roll is crusty on the outside and soft and chewy inside. E. 48th Street Market bakes theirs (along with all other breads in the bakery) daily, like any good Italian market – it’s so good to know I can finally get one without traveling 1,000 miles.

e-48th-street-market-2462-jett-ferry-dunwoody-ga-prepared-foods-case

Note: The E. 48th Street Market will be closed for vacation from July 4th until the 11th. They will reopen at 10:00 AM on Monday, July 12. Get your orders in now to pick up before they close!

WHERE: E. 48th Street Market2462 Jett Ferry (at Mount Vernon), Dunwoody, GA 30338
(770) 392-1499

E 48th Street Market Italian on Urbanspoon

11 Enlightened Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

1. Joseph Sgroe says:

Been going there for a few years. Have not found another Italian deli in the area like it.

2. Maura says:

Joe, I totally agree! Thanks for reading and posting a comment. =)

3. Road Scholar says:

Mam Mia! That’sa good!

Best in-store made motzarella, deli, parmassan, and home made roast pork… when they have it!

4. Nick Nicholas says:

A True Gem! If you ever lived in a city and then had to move. Is there anywhere that is a must when you come back to visit? If that city is Atlanta it would most definitely by East 48th Street. I couldn’t live with myself if I was in Atlanta and didn’t stop there. Try it and you will be hooked!

5. Larry Feldman says:

As a former ‘Jersey Guy’ 48th is the real deal. I eat there weekly!

You can take home some sauce, fresh pasta and the family thinks you’re a chef!!!

6. Maura says:

Larry – Thanks for reading 365Atlanta.com and commenting! My dad’s a “Jersey guy” and I’ve highly recommended he go and try it out. I know he’ll love it, too! (Plus, I LOVE that I can find hard rolls – finally!!)

7. John says:

I have been eating at E. 48th for a number of years and have had the good fortune to get to know the owners and staff. They are as much a part of the experience as the food is. The way Charlie runs the show with trying new food and wine items and his attention to quality and His daughter Andrea who always makes you feel welcome and remembers more names of customers than any place I have ever been. The kitchen and wait staff always seem to have thing in order. I love the place for food though. I need a canoli!

8. Dottie says:

This wonderful market is a fabulous source of Italian wines. Charlie has a masterful knowledge to guide you to just the right one!

9. Candy says:

I just recently visisted New Orleans and had the pleasure of experiencing the Muffaletta. Does this market have a good one? Thanks

10. Maura says:

Candy, they have an absolutely divine Muffaletta. I think you’ll love it!

11. Doc Charlie says:

Reminds me of Starvino’s Italian deli in Allentown pa my home town…I grew up inthe Allentown Italian Club, cooking with the “nona’s of the italian neighborhood….I learned all their GREAT recipies…WoW what a place to shop!!!! Like being home again with my 94 yr old Italian Mother…Bella…

Post a Reply