#221 – Cheese Week Starts Today at Star Provisions in West Midtown – Celebrate Cheese with American Cheese-Making Rockstars! September 14-18, 2010
I am a huge fan of cheese – all kinds of cheese – it is one of the most delicious things I can imagine eating. I feel the same way about cheese as many (more normal?) people feel about chocolate. So today is exciting…it’s the first day of Cheese Week at Star Provisions!
From Tuesday, September 14 through Saturday, September 19, 2010, you can stop by Star Provisions every day for a different cheese experience, a whole week of tastings and demos with some of America’s best cheese makers. Star Provisions cheese room “offers the largest variety of Southern cheeses as well as other artisan American and imported European cheeses.” There is a constantly revolving selection of seasonal cheeses. Cheese Department Manager, Tim Gaddis (known on Twitter as @TimtheCheeseman) tweets and blogs about new arrivals, special events, and his adventures visiting the country’s cheesemakers. Here is the schedule as it appears on the Cheese Week Facebook Page – it is, as with all special events, subject to change:
- Sept. 14 – Allison Hooper withVermont Butter & Cheese ACS 2010 2nd place “Best of Show”
- Sept. 14 – Uplands Cheese Co. ACS 2010 1st “Best of Show”
- Sept. 15 – Phickles Pickles, Athens, GA
- Sept. 16, 10AM-2PM – Sweetgrass Dairy
- Sept 16, 2PM-5PM – Rogue Creamery
- Sept. 17, 10AM-2PM – Natures Harmony Farm
- Sept. 17, 2PM-5PM – Sequatchie Cove
- Sept. 18, 11AM-4PM – Jasper Hill Farm & Yellowmoon Cheese Co.
If you’ve never visited Star Provisions, you are certainly in for a treat! It’s a wonderland, a 4,000+ square foot market with individual departments featuring an amazing selection of meat, seafood, cheese, wine, freshly baked bread and pastries, and gifts. Locally grown organic produce, homemade pasta, herbs and spices…the list goes on and on. Plan to go for lunch or a cup of coffee and a pastry, and then experience the daily cheese feature!