#335 – My 2011 Atlanta Bucket List – What I’ll Be Doing, What You Can Look Forward To, & How About You?
Instead of resolutions this year (which we all know get broken more often than fulfilled), I decided to make a 2011 Bucket List – the top 25 things I want to do, try, experience in Atlanta before the end of the year. Some things I’ve never done, some things I like to do again and again…
So here it is: my 2011 Atlanta Bucket List! Of course, there were way too many great upcoming events to list here – this is just my Top 25! I encourage you to make a list of your own – tell us below what you can’t wait to do in and around our fabulous city this year!
1. North Georgia Canopy Tours – we have a “ice”-check from December, when we got iced out. Can’t wait to zip through the trees in the North Georgia mountain!
2. Hike Stone Mountain & have a picnic at the top – I haven’t hiked up the mountain in ages!
3. Attend the 75th Anniversary Celebration of Gone With the Wind at the Margaret Mitchell House – What better way to celebrate my all-time favorite book?
4. Visit BOTH Gone With the Wind museums – Marietta and Jonesboro – see #3.
5. Go horseback riding at Lake Lanier
6. Become a “regular” at Farmers Markets – there’s nothing 365Atlanta supports more than local businesses. This year, I want to get up and out early on Saturday mornings and explore more of what our city’s Farmers Markets have to offer.
7. Make more time for art – visit the HIGH Museum whenever there’s an exhibit that interests me
8. Atlanta Food and Wine Festival – in May, inaugural year for this much-anticipated event
9. Have a romantic picnic in Piedmont Park – we’ll have to wait for spring for this one, but it’s a “must-do” for this year
10. Go tubing on the Chattahoochee on a hot summer day – grab some friends, jump on a tube and have a lazy day on the river
11. Ride the Pink Pig – I missed it again in 2010 and have never done it!
12. Tour Sweetwater Brewery
13. Greet U.S. troops returning home at Atlanta Airport with the U.S.O. – what better way to feel patriotic and to thank our troops for their service to our country?
14. Eat my heart out at the Chili Cook-Off at Stone Mountain this fall
15. Take the CNN tour
16. Visit The Varsity – I’ve never done it, I’ve resisted for 11 years…2011 may be the year
17. Take the Atlanta Preservation Center’s Walking Tours – they include The Fox Theatre, Grant Park, Historic Midtown and more!
18. Tour Georgia Wine Country – spend a weekend sipping what North Georgia has to offer
19. Sing my heart out at Happy Karaoke – Buford Highway’s premiere Korean private-room karaoke
20. Make time for more trips to “the corner” for The King of Pops
21. Take a cooking class at Cooks Warehouse with a favorite local chef
22. Walk in the Atlanta Community Food Bank Hunger Walk in March – I’m already signed up!
23. Check out the Winter Beer Carnival in February
24. Take a helicopter ride over the city – this one’s for the hubby!
25. Sit in the “All You Can Eat & Drink” seats at an Atlanta Braves game
And not to leave out good eatin’, here’s my 2011 Restaurant List – places, new and familiar, I want to try this year. Are some of your favorites on this list?
1. Muss & Turners
2. JCT Kitchen
4. Lotta Frutta
5. The Sound Table
6. Au Pied du Cochon
7. The Family Dog – opening soon!
8. Holman and Finch – gotta get my hands on one of those burgers!
9.Nan Thai Fine Dining
10. Cakes & Ale
12. The Shed
14. Hong Kong Harbour for Sunday dim sum
15. Bacchanalia – a girl can dream, right?
Won’t you add your “must-do” items below? We want to hear from you!