Cinco de Mayo is here, y’all, and we’ve rounded up five great ways to celebrate. Don your sombrero and prepare your liver – it’s time to party down!
1. Virginia-Highland favorite, The Original El Taco, is opening early tomorrow just for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Opening at 3:00 PM, perfect for those looking for an early happy hour and the best sangria in town! There’s a reason Citysearch readers named El Taco “Best Mexican” – from the delicious a la carte tacos (think everything from pork carnitas – my favorite! – to the ubiquitous fried chicken taco) to the fancy-schmancy Salsa Bar to the Wheel of Taco, spinning every hour on the hour for fun prizes, like tequila shots, cheese dip, swag and more!
Cinco de Mayo at the Taco features the full dinner menu, as well as $4 pineapple-infused tequila shots, $12.00 22-oz. Lunazul Reposado margaritas with a cup you get to keep, $12 bucket of Dos Equis Amber or Dos Equis Lager, $9.00 22-oz. Dos Equis Lager draft in another cup you can take home, and a Lunazul shot girl who likes to give things away for free!
2. Margaritas for the Market – Cinco de Mayo just happens to be the East Atlanta Village Farmers Market opening day! So, after checking out the market’s now location at 561 Flat Shoals Avenue, shopping for local goods, watching the chef demo at 6:00 PM, and perhaps taking in a workshop at 4:30 PM or an onsite yoga class at 6:30 PM, stroll across the street to Midway Pub and enjoy their patio and a couple of special, locally-picked, fresh Strawberry Margaritas! All proceeds from the sale of Strawberry Margaritas will benefit the market, so you’re really celebrating Cinco for a good, local cause!
3. Cinco de Mayo with Tin Lizzy’s – With three locations around the city, the party will be hopping at whichever you choose. With special food stations, super-sized drinks, multiple bars and live music – and did I mention, three locations? – this triple-play of Cinco de Mayo celebrations is co-sponsored by Q100 All the Hits and Dos Equis. The Buckhead and Midtown locations are super-sizing the party by spilling over into their surrounding side streets and parking lots, and Buckhead will include a live broadcast by Q100’s Johnny O and DJ Money Shot. The Grant Park Tin Lizzy’s is FREE all day, from 12:00 noon until 2:00 AM; Buckhead Tin Lizzy’s is FREE from 11:30 AM until 5:30 PM, and then $10.00 from 5:30 PM until 2:00 AM; and the Midtown Tin Lizzy’s is FREE from 11:30 AM until 5:30 PM, and then $10.00 from 5:30 PM until 10:00 PM.
4. Cinco de Mayo Block Party at Teela Taqueria – We don’t want to make our OTP peeps feel left out, so we thought we’d include one of our favorite Sandy Springs taquerias, Teela Taqueria! Hosting a Cinco de Mayo Block Party, co-sponsored by Hornitos, with a special appearance by the Hornitos Girls! Featuring live music from two bands, tons of giveaways, delicious food and drink specials all night long! The party and the music starts at 5:00 PM and continues until at least 11:00 PM…or later if the party’s going strong!
WHERE: Cinco de Mayo Block Party at Teela Taqueria – CityWalk at Sandy Springs, 227 Sandy Springs Place, Sandy Springs, GA 30328
5. 4th Annual Virginia Highland Cinco de Mayo Celebration and Block Party – Pozolé Nuevo Latino and Limerick Junction are co-sponsoring th 4th Annual Virginia Highland Cinco de Mayo Block Party – and it will be the biggest and best one yet! The gates open at 5:00 PM and the live music starts at 6:00 PM. Co-sponsored by Dos Equis and Tequila Herradora, this event promises authentic Mexican food, a beer and margarita bar featuring $5.00 16-oz. Dos Equis Amber and Lager and $6.00 Herradura margaritas, as well as a full bar. Two stages – one inside and one outside – feature six bands, including Nick and Pete as PleaseRock (a Beatles cover band), the Pinups (a David Bowie cover band), Justin (rock covers), and Desire (a U2 tribute band). In addition, there will be fun games and contests, including Smash the Piñata and a hot pepper speed-eating contest. ¡Olé!
WHERE: 4th Annual Virginia Highland Cinco de Mayo Celebration and Block Party – Parking lot between Pozole & Limerick Junction, Virginia Highland, Atlanta, GA
And finally, some Cinco de Mayo words of wisdom from our friends at Our Libatious Nature – whether you’re partying at home or headed out on the town, there are a few things you should think about when enjoying Cinco de Mayo cocktails. Nicky and Katruska, the slightly-pickled minds behind Our Libatious Nature, have put together a few rules to live by when celebrating Cinco de Mayo, to add to your enjoyment and help you avoid “improper celebration…with inappropriate imbibing.” From choosing your margarita to respecting the tequila, follow their simple suggestions and you’ll be much happier during (and after) your libations!